Wednesday, March 23, 2011

It's OK to laugh at this post.

I love this junk-to-jewel project. It's one of the first things I see when I wake up and it makes me smile.



I bought the dresser at a garage sale for $2. Yes, $2. Some of the drawers didn't open and it was wobbly but since it cost less than my morning latte, I took it home anyway.



A closer look at the legs revealed that they were added on by a fellow DIYer sometime in my dresser's former life. On a hunch I tried removing them. Wobble problem solved.

The drawers were more challenging but here's my little secret. Soap. Remove all the drawers then run a bar of soap everywhere that wood touches wood. It may take a few times and the drawers may not slide like new but it will definitely help. The added bonus? It makes an old dresser smell better too.

Finally, the fun part. Time to get creative. This was my first time painting faux wood grain and I'm completely addicted now. Nothing in my house is safe. For the type, I cut letters out of contact paper then painstakingly applied them before I started painting. Little secret #2: paint clear glaze along the edge of your tape or stencil first. This will stop the paint from seeping under and give you sharp, clean lines. The end result is a simple, useful piece of furniture that reminds me every day to be positive. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment